Michael Brandvold is a freelance music industry consultant based in Northern California. Having launched Michael Brandvold Marketing to leverage his years of experience to provide direction to large and small clients in the areas of online & social marketing as well as e-commerce and customer acquisition and retention.
Gene Simmons of KISS first tapped Michael’s skills as a pioneering online marketing strategist to launch and manage all aspects of Kissonline.com’s multi-million dollar enterprise, including their ground-breaking VIP ticket program.
Michael has also managed the online efforts for Motley Crüe, Rod Stewart, Madonna, Ozzy Osbourne, Madonna and Britney Spears to name only a few.
Michael is also a advisor to a couple start-ups . He has been a speaker or panelist at many events across the country, including SXSW Interactive, California Music Industry Summit, Quicktime Live, NARM, The Conclave, Driven Music Conference and NARIP.
In both mainstream and adult entertainment, Michael Brandvold’s marketing talents, skills and savvy are vital assets that numerous companies rely upon to expand, prosper and operate effectively, efficiently and profitably in the online economy.
Upon graduating from Mankato State University in 1987, Michael accepted the position of Director of Marketing with DKP Productions, an artist management firm in Chicago, before joining Red Light Records 1990, as National Radio Promotions manager.
A self-taught master of HTML, Michael launched websites for Perris Records, Creative Communications, Sportmart, and Montgomery Ward. But it was KISS Otaku – his KISS fan site launched in 1995 – that would change his fortunes forever.
In 1998, Gene Simmons of KISS discovered KISS Otaku and personally tapped Michael as the Director of Web Services at Signatures Network, a Sony/CMGi company, where he built-from-scratch, managed and grew KISSonline into a multi-million dollar enterprise with over of a half million visitors a month.
Michael was also instrumental in the development and execution of VIP Platinum Ticket Programs, which are now ubiquitous in the concert industry. The first band to offer such a VIP Platinum Ticket program, KISS’ 2003 60-date US tour, achieved 100% sellout of the $1,000 tickets generating $1.5 million. Michael implemented the same VIP ticketing programs, and managed the online branding, marketing, and sales efforts, for U2, Motley Crüe, Rod Stewart, Madonna, Ozzy Osbourne, Dream Theater, Alice Copper, Jessica Simpson and Britney Spears grossing $20M in first 12 months of operations. Michael’s responsibilities included working closely with Universal Music Group, BMG/Sanctuary Records, Rhino Records, and Playboy.
I was recently a guest on The Radio Show Podcast for a episode titled Building an Effective Digital Brand.
Prominent music industry marketer Michael Brandvold joins 2016 Radio Show Steering Committee member Mike McVay to discuss the best ways to build a digital brand and craft messages that will resonate with your audience.
About the Radio Show Podcast. We’re counting down to Nashville and the 2016 Radio Show produced by RAB and NAB. Whether you’re new to the business or a seasoned pro, the Radio Show is the premiere conference to load up on big ideas that can grow careers, productivity and revenue. The tangible takeaways are abound and The Radio Show Podcast will get you ready for this year’s event.
- Hypebot.com 2012 – The Best And Brightest Music Industry Minds On Twitter
- CD Baby 2012 – 10 Top Music Marketing & Promotion Resources On Twitter
- CD Baby 2012 – 11 Must-Follow People on Twitter.
- 2012 Named a Klout Star by Klout.com
- Finalist in the Best New Media / Social Media Executive for NARIP 2011 Best in the Biz.
- Finalist in the 2011 Top 10 Social Media Bloggers by Social Media Examiner.
- Finalist in the 2011 CBS San Francisco Most Valuable Blogger.
- Double Platinum RIAA award for promoting KISS Symphony DVD.
- Gold RIAA award for promoting the five disc KISS Box Set.
- Gold RIAA award for promoting the Billboard Top 10 release KISS Psycho Circus.
- KISSONLINE.com –
- Yahoo! Internet Life Magazine Online Music Awards, 2000 Top Five Artist Sites Nominee
- Yahoo! Internet Life Magazine, 1999 Top Five To Watch for 2000.
- Britneyspears.com – ArtistDirect Online Music Awards, 2000 Best Official Website Nominee.
- Madonnamusic.com – ArtistDirect Online Music Awards, 2000 Best Official Website Nominee.
- The Recording Academy
- National Association of Record Industry Professionals
- Bay Area Affiliate Manager Coalition
- Bay Area Search Engine Marketing Coalition