Sometimes you just need to sell your music through iTunes. The options to install a iTunes store on your Facebook page have been pretty limited. You could setup BandPage and link each track out to iTunes. But the setup, though fairly easy, is a number of steps.
Over the weekend I discovered a new Facebook app called smartTab. This is easily one of the easiest and fastest stores to install on a Facebook page.
Login with your Facebook account and you are taken to a dashboard of all the Pages you administer.
- Click Configure.
- Past in the URL to your page on iTunes.
- Upload a banner image and select some colors.
- Click install.
You now have a nice looking store on your Page that displays all your product on iTunes. It allows 90 second previews of all songs. It has individual buy links as well as album buy links… all linking to iTunes to complete the purchase. Add a new title to iTunes in the future, it appears. You don’t need to do anything, just set it and forget it.
Note that you can’t add your own affiliate code to the links, smartTab inserts their own affiliate code. The app is free, but they seem to make their money off of each sale, just like a traditional affiliate link. They say a premium version is coming that would maintain your affiliate code.
I chatted briefly with the developer of smartTab and they updated me on some changes they are working on:
- An “add list”. This will let people add specific albums to show. If you might want to display albums from another artist in your store.
- A “splash page”. This will let people include a few lines of code on their website which will cause a smartTab to overlay the page. This will release smartTabs from being only available as a Facebook page tab.
- A “block list”. The ability to selectively remove certain albums from being displayed.
- Installs in a matter of minutes.
- Automatically updates with new product.
- Displays all your product in iTunes with one configuration.
- Remember, smartTabs is just a interface to iTunes. Whatever iTunes does or does not do, smartTabs will be the same.
- Only 90 second previews.
- Can’t insert your own affiliate code, until the premium version is released.
- No marketing tools such as free track for a email.
I know I have clients that only sell their music through major channels such as iTunes and Amazon, for them smartTab is a perfect tool.